Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mom's Day Off

It doesn't happen often and I don't know when it will happen again, but today, I have a day off. There's no one home except for me, no kids, no spouse. I hardly know what to do with myself. Three of the of the kids are in Wisconsin until Tuesday with their grandparents (the inlaws). The other two kids are at my mom and dad's house until probably Monday evening. The spouse is at work until likely around 5:00.

I'm trying to enjoy the peace and quiet, the time to myself. Sometimes it's nice to not have anyone to talk to. There's not one person here that can direct my day, let alone six people here that tend to chase my day straight away from me. Don't get me wrong, that is the story of my life, much of my time is not my own and I wouldn't have it any other way, but it is nice to take a break and just be able to listen to the thoughts in my own head and (apparently) some dog barking his annoying little head off.

So, it's 9:30 in the morning and what have I done today? Not a whole heck of a lot, that's for sure. I watched Disturbia, read a little email and checked up on a few blogs, right now I'm watching Swingtown, but can't seem to get into it, I might have to turn on another movie...perhaps The Departed. LOVE that movie.

Hubby suggested taking me out to dinner tonight, so I've got that going for me. I need to do a little grocery shopping sometime soon, but that will likely wait until tomorrow, should be fun for hubby, he likes to come with me grocery shopping, but usually stays home with the kids as it is insanely distracting for me to grocery shop with five kids and a spouse in tow. Since the kids are gone hubby and me get to spend his only day off this week, without kids. I think that will be fun.

Hubby and I don't very often get to go out together, let alone have a whole day together without the children. When we do get away from the kids to just have some time together as a couple, it's usually only for a few hours. It pains me that we don't take more time to focus on our own relationship as a married couple when we are so wrapped up in work life and family life on a day to day basis.

So, I vow not to waste this 'me' day, this 'mom's day off'. I want to spend some time being me. I want to listen to some of my favorite songs while I take a shower knowing that not one person will knock on the door while I'm in there or stomp through the house having a temper tantrum. I want to enjoy my leftover Parmesan nuggets that I picked up at a local pizza joint last night with an ice cold Pepsi--half of which is also left over from last night. I want to watch Disturbia again and write a continuing romantic teen book series based on the romance between the main characters, Kale and Ashley (played by Shia LaBeouf and Sarah Roemer).

On my 'mom's day off', I'll go out to dinner with my husband and maybe to a little fun shopping, stimulate the economy a little bit. Hubby wants to go to Chili's for dinner, so I'm going to have to think about what I'm going to want to eat--everything is so good there it's hard to decide...but I should definitely have a margarita!!! Our economic stimulus money is burning a whole in my pocket and I'm hoping to be able to get hubby to let me spend at least a little bit of it before it goes to bills.

No comments: