Monday, June 2, 2008

End of the Year. The School Year

Today I'm getting ready to call the school year over. This also marks the end of the work year for me. Summer Vacation. For millions of parents all over the United States, the school year is coming to an end. The children will be off school for something like 11 weeks before they go back and start a new grade, a new school year.

I do not have to go back to work though. Well, not in the sense that I worked this school year. I'm currently employed as a day care provider. I work from home. I've only a few days left of this career before I take a family vacation and embark on a work at home mom adventure.

We are kicking off our summer vacation with an actual vacation. So, I'm keeping myself busy these last few days of 'work' with getting ready for summer and ready for vacation. I'd like to start the summer on a good note, an organized note.

I'm cleaning up my office, getting it ready for when we return from our vacation. I'll need to dive right into my work, figuring out what my new career will be. I'm doing a little bit of everything today. Everything includes changing diapers, feeding children, catching up on General Hospital, pre-vacation tasks like charging my Dell Jukebox and other misc. tasks.

With the school year coming to an end, final report cards will be here soon along with backpacks full of papers. I cleared out my school paper bins, keeping only one out of three bins full with papers to keep and report cards from throughout the year. I'll sort them by kid after I get the last day of school and put them in their baby boxes.

I also started clearing out the bins/drawers that I use for my day care kid supplies. Extra outfits, misc socks and pacifiers all have been tossed into a paper bag to be returned to the family at the end of the workweek this week. I don't know how much I really condensed as I'll still need to use diapers and wipes and bottles, but at least I've got a bag set aside so in four days I can just toss the rest of the stuff in the bag and hand it over to daycare mom.

I will continue my contract sewing gig, so I'm straightening up my sewing area so that I can dive right into my work once we get settled into a summer routine after our vacation. I'm a starter of projects, many of which don't always get finished, or get finished up in a hurry. I move stuff around hoping that it looks clean, feels clean in my office. I work better when it feels clean and straight, but I've got so much stuff it's hard to get that feel and keep it.

Every little bit helps, I guess. I still have to place a photo order. I've got some collage ideas for some empty photo frames in my room. On the back burner is a birthday party at the end of the month, as well as a family reunion and my own birthday. Would love to start making curtains for the house this summer. I think window coverings would help a bit with utility bills.

This will be a busy week getting ready for summer and summer vacation, but one that I've been looking forward to for months. It's hard to believe it's finally here. The winter blahs seem to have lifted for the most part. I mean, there's still PMS to deal with, but for the most part, things are going well, or at least I feel like they are.

No comments: