Friday, June 20, 2008

Summers Here. Transitions and good days

Today is a beautiful summer day in the greater Chicagoland area. I'm officially retired as a daycare provider and can be a parent to my own five children. Being retired from that particular fall back career does not provide me any income, so I begin the search for a real job. Perhaps not a real job, but some sort of income provider.

Today is an interesting day because my two older girls, 11 and 13 are participating in a summer enrichment program at our local high school until lunchtime. Top that with my neighbor inviting my 7 and 9 year olds to 'friend day' at their day camp today. They won't be home until just after 4p.m.

In the house it's just me and the 5 year old, who threw a fit this morning when she found out she wasn't going to get to go to the day camp. She's currently happily coloring with markers a couple of coloring pages that we printed out from nick jr.

There's nothing pressing to do. I've got a few errands to run. This afternoon we have to go to the store to get a birthday present for the 11 year old to take to a birthday party this evening. She'll be sleeping over, so I'm sure I'll be discouraging the 13 year old from inviting over anyone willing to have a sleep over here.

Everything has certainly slowed to a somewhat more leisurely pace. We're not quite in the lazy days of summer. We haven't even made time to get up to the library to sign up for the summer reading program. We're hoping to get that done tomorrow morning. Small town library is actually closed 3 days a week, and then doesn't open before noon. Apparently, I tend to be busier in the afternoon, and would prefer if my library was open at 9 or 10 a.m. a couple days a week--or at least one weekday.

There's only one softball game tonight as well. It's a local game, two blocks away, so I can send the 13 year old on down the street so she can play her game--if it doesn't rain. We've got some clouds moving into the area. Even the spouse has got some leisurely plans to go out with his best friend for a few beers tonight.

I'm looking forward to putting the kids to bed, lighting a few candles and chilling out on a nice summer evening with the windows open and a slight breeze flowing through the house...

1 comment:

Ann Harrison said...

Hi!
I found you through Mom Bloggers Club.
Your end to the day sounds wonderful!

~Ann

http://annagain66.blogspot.com/